How Is Your Home Making You Sick

Home/Tips/How Is Your Home Making You Sick

How Is Your Home Making You Sick

The environment you live in has a direct impact on your health. You might not notice the changes to your health at first, but toxins, pesticides, gases, mites and molds are everywhere, even in your home.

While these things don’t cause you to immediately become sick, prolonged exposure to large amounts of these health threats can make you sick.

Here are the things that possibly exist in your home that can adversely affect your health and that of those you love.

  • Tobacco Smoke: Long term exposure to tobacco smoke is dangerous as it increases risk pf lung cancer, respiratory infections, other lung problems, and even heart diseases. This includes both passive smoking and when you are smoking tobacco yourself. With so many health problems that can come from smoking tobacco, you should avoid being near tobacco and not allow it in your home. If someone from your home or if a guest must smoke, ask them to smoke in the patio or backyard. Try to discourage people smoking inside your home.
  • Radon: Radon is an invisible, odorless gas that increases the risk of lung cancer. This is especially detrimental for smokers who are already exposed to tobacco smoke as a carcinogen. You need to get your house tested to make sure it doesn’t contain traces of radon.
  • Combustion Gases: These gases include carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxides. They can cause flu, respiratory diseases, and even death. Avoid using combustion appliances indoors. Use exhaust fans or exhaust hoods when using gas stoves. Make sure your chimney and furnace are cleaned yearly and that they are properly vented to avoid accumulation of combustion gases in your home.
  • Lead: Many homes in the US that were built before 1978 contain lead paint that causes lead poisoning. Nearly 900,000 children in America are affected by lead poisoning each year. Make sure none of the walls or ceilings in your home were painted using lead based paint. In case they were, it might be best to consult your physician so that he may take blood tests to check lead levels.
  • Asbestos: Asbestos was used as building insulation material between 1920 and 1978 and if your home was build around that time, you might be exposed to asbestos. High levels of asbestos can cause cancer and lung diseases.
  • Household Chemicals: Some household cleaning problems contain dangerous chemicals and should be kept away from children and pets. Choose products that have the least dangerous chemicals for the job and try to store them in places where they can be kept isolated.
  • Water: The quality of the water in your area may be unsafe for use as it may contain nitrates and bacteria. Check your water for pesticides, poisons, radon, or bacteria.
  • Pesticides: Pesticides should be avoided and used sparingly as they contain harmful chemicals that can damage your health.
  • Allergens: Water damaged materials easily grow molds and other organisms that cause allergies and many other illnesses. To reduce the growth of allergens in the home, you need to fix leaks and any other problems related to water to reduce the chances of the growth of moles.

Here’s What You Should Do If Your House Has Mold

It is likely that you have mold in your house if it has a musty smell, but you might not know where it’s coming from. When there is no visual evidence or smell but someone in your family has been falling sick more often or showing allergic symptoms, then the first thing you have to do is to locate the source of water leakage as it is what causes mould.

If left on its own, mould will grow and it will spread all around your house and therefore, you need to do something about it. Cleaning the mould isn’t enough as mould leaves hundreds of spores (seeds) around that will grow when they come into contact with water. And therefore, it is important that you keep water from coming into contact with surfaces such as wood, cardboard, carpets as mould can easily grow on these surfaces.

You also need to get your home checked for water leakage and mould from time to time as mould can cause allergies such as wheezing, rash, watery eyes, runny nose, itchy or red eyes and coughing. It can also trigger the symptoms of flu and asthma.

The best way to minimize the risks of being sick. You should get your home professionally cleaned from time to time so your home becomes a healthier, cleaner environment. On Time Steam Cleaning hires the best professional cleaners in New York who are trained to complete a variety of cleaning tasks including water drainage restoration and air duct cleaning.

Contact On Time Steam Cleaning at 1.888.512.2055 or email them on info@ontimecleaningny.com.

2016-06-22T02:55:58+00:00

Leave A Comment